CS 203, Assignment 1
A first HTML page
For the first scheduled lab session
By next week I will create a separate account for you on the server
Osiris, where your web pages will be located. Your Osiris username will
be without trailing numbers.
Example: if Jennifer Bond's username is jbond007, her Osiris
username will be just jbond
(use this in the form below)
The main goal of this first assignment is to compose a web page
using HTML tags, and submit it to me, using the yellow form below.
- Sit down at a computer. Turn it on if necessary. (or use
your own, with wi-fi -- do not umplug ethernet cables)
Most labs at Bishop;s are Windows only.
If you are offered the choice of Mac-OS or have a Mac laptop, consider yourself lucky.
- Log in, with your normal ubishops username.
- Open a web browser to view these instructions at https://cs.ubishops.ca/ljensen/webdesign/lab1.html
- Open a plain text editor, I recommend
Notepad++ in Windows
- Type in an HTML formatted document. It should begin with <html>
and end with </html> It should have a head section and
a body section. See skel.html.
Save it with a name ending in .html, and you will see the
tags highlighted - this is a
editor feature. Do this now! -- so that as you edit, you get the
benefit of highlighting.
Be sure your name is included
where I will see it. Include some interesting information about
yourself, or about something that interests you, such as the GO
tournament scene, or extreme bartending.
- Please use (at least) the following tags (and their closures, </...>):
- Title (appears in window title), this goes in the head section
- Headers - h1, h2, etc.
- Paragraph (p)
- Line break (br) How is it different from a paragraph?
- Emphasis and strong emphasis (em, strong)
- An unordered list (ul) or an ordered list (ol), with list
- A horizontal rule (hr) - this is a line across the page.
- A link, for example your favorite website, or your e-mail
address (link is "mailto:myself%40snailmail.com")
%40 is a code for @ in this context, to "hide" our address from
- the & sign, coded as &
- Save your page (to a file: Save as... )
- You have Firefox or other web browser open to view this, or open
one now.Open your file in it (File menu, Open File, choose your file...
*) to see how it displays. Make changes as necessary, save, then press
the browser's "reload" button to see the changes. (in Firefox, this
is small clockwise arrow at the right of the location.)
(* Some browsers don't show a
menu bar. If not, try to change settings, or you'll have to type
- When you are satisfied, submit the file to me using this form:
If you included any picture(s) in your page, use the form again for
Picture names must end in .jpeg,.jpg, or .png (lower case).
- Test it! When you sent your file (.html) you got a link
to the uploaded file. Does it still look right? Do you see your pictures?
change your password there please.
Trouble getting connected? see Troubleshooting
- Your username is generally the first letter of your given name,
then your family name, all lower-case. If yours is a new account, your
initial password is what I told you in class.
- In a Mac-OS terminal type: (in Windows, use PuTTY)
- Give your initial password. (Don't
- You are now logged in remotely to osiris Change your password:
type your existing password, and then your
chosen password, two times. (You won't see anything on the screen as
you type) (press Enter at the end of
each password.) Remember it!